Youth Peer Support Specialist Certification
- Youth Peer Support Specialists (YPSS) are young people over the age 18 who work one-on-one with transition-aged youth who share similar lived-experiences in youth-serving systems such as but not limited to Behavioral Health, Foster Care, and Juvenile Justice.
- YPSS are professionally trained to share their experience overcoming challenges related to mental health, trauma, or substance use, to guide and support young people receiving services where the YPSS is employed.
- YPSS promote hope and resiliency by listening to the self-determined needs of the young person they work with and by identifying the strengths, resources, and next steps to achieve their goals.
Who is YPSS Certification for?
The following is a list of requirements to be eligible to apply for YPSS certification:
- Have valid NM ID.
- At least 18 years of age or older.
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Have personal experience, prior to the age of 18, navigating systems involvement in child welfare, juvenile justice, or children’s behavioral health.
- Have personal strategies used to maintain health and wellness and have been doing so for the past 2 years or more.
- Have a willingness and ability to share those strategies with others.
Youth Peer Support Specialist Certification Track
Complete Youth Peer Support Specialist Certification Application Form
After submitting application, applicants will be contacted for a brief phone interview to verify eligibility.
NMSU COI Staff will contact approved applicants about YPSS Certification Training registration.
Complete Youth Peer Support Specialist (YPSS) Exposure Site Identification Form
Candidate indicates where they will be completing their 40 work exposure hours and who will be overseeing their time there.
Complete 40 hours of Work Exposure and Request Supervisor Verification
Request Letter of Support for YPSS Certification
A letter of support is required from a colleague or supervisor at the agency where candidate completed 40 hours of work exposure.
Schedule Reflection of Learning or Written Exam for Certification
Candidate may choose to sit for a Reflection of Learning interview OR an online written exam.
Appeal Certification Interview Decision
If you are interested in appealing the interview decision, complete YPS Certification Interview Decision Appeal Form